The IBM® Diamondback tape library is the next-generation ultra-high density tape storage
solution available from IBM. The Diamondback is designed to easily scale out and fit into any
data center or server room, with each frame having only the footprint of a standard server
rack. Designed with a focus on simplicity and density, the library can be deployed quickly and
easily managed using either REST API or its own browser based GUI. Maintenance and
support are also simplified via the use of Customer Replaceable Units (CRUs) and built in call
home, which greatly lowers the number of parts to be kept on hand and reduces downtime in
the event of a failure.
This next-generation tape library is designed to help midsized and large enterprises meet
modern cloud storage challenges including: increasing data volumes, rising storage footprint
costs, and reducing the complexity of IT training and system management by simplifying data
migration and administration.
This IBM Redbooks publication provides a detailed overview of the new Diamondback
library and its features. Highlights of these features include:
- Standard server rack dimensions based on Open Compute Project racks, installs into data
centers and is serviced like a server rack.
- Store up to 27 PB capacity with LTO 9 cartridges (up to 69 PB with 2.5:1 compression) a
2.7x improvement over LTO with TS4500 single frame.
- Media optimization for the LTO9 tape drive with L9/LZ media.
- Reduce installation time with the ability to ship fully loaded with tape cartridges
- Optimize storage with Ultra high density (UHD) storage slots
- Automate management through a REST API
- Simplified service using CRUs reduces down time and number of parts to keep on hand
- Automatic control-path and data-path fail-over
- Tape-drive encryption
- WORM media support
- Persistent worldwide name
- Multipath architecture
- Drive/media exception reporting
- Remote drive/media management
- Advanced Library Management System (ALMS)
Additionally, this book describes detailed information about the IBM Diamondback
components, feature codes, specifications, supported tape drives, encryption, system
management, security features and REST features.
This publication is for anyone who wants to understand more about the IBM Diamondback
tape library. It is particularly suitable for IBM clients, IBM Business Partners, IBM specialist
sales representatives, and technical specialists.
Chapter 1. IBM Diamondback Tape Library
Chapter 2. IBM Diamondback Linear Tape-Open
Chapter 3. IBM Diamondback Tape Library Supported Software
Chapter 4. Security and Encryption
Chapter 5. Diamondback management graphical user interface (GUI)
Chapter 6. IBM Diamondback REST API
Chapter 7. Diamondback Self Support
Chapter 8. Related publications and links
The material included in this document is in DRAFT form and is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind. IBM is not responsible for the accuracy or completeness of the material, and may update the document at any time. The final, published document may not include any, or all, of the material included herein. Client assumes all risks associated with Client's use of this document.