Note: A new draft version of this publication is now available
The IBM® System Storage® Solutions Handbook helps you solve your current and future data storage business requirements to achieve enhanced storage efficiency by design to allow managed cost, capacity of growth, greater mobility, and stronger control over storage performance and management. It describes the current IBM storage products, including IBM FlashSystem™, disk, and tape, and virtualized solutions, such as IBM Storage Cloud, IBM Virtual Storage Center, and IBM Spectrum™ Storage.
This IBM Redbooks® publication provides overviews and pointers for information about the current IBM System Storage products, showing how IBM delivers the right mix of products for nearly every aspect of business continuance and business efficiency. IBM storage products can help you store, safeguard, retrieve, and share your data.
The following topics are covered:
- Part 1 introduces IBM storage solutions. It provides overviews of the IBM storage solutions, including IBM Spectrum Storage™, IBM Storage Cloud, and IBM Virtual Storage Center (VSC).
- Part 2 describes the IBM disk and flash products that include IBM DS Series (entry-level, midrange, and enterprise offerings), IBM XIV® storage, IBM Storwize® products, and the IBM FlashSystem offerings.
- Part 3 is an overview of the IBM tape drives, IBM tape automation products, and IBM tape virtualization solutions and products.
- Part 4 describes storage networking infrastructure, switches and directors to form storage area network (SAN) solutions, and converged networks and data center networking.
- Part 5 describes the IBM storage software portfolio, including IBM SAN Volume Controller, IBM Tivoli® Storage Manager, Tivoli Storage Productivity Center, and IBM Security Key Lifecycle Manager.
- Part 6 describes the IBM z/OS® storage management software and tools.
- The appendixes provide information about the High Performance Storage System (HPSS) and recently withdrawn IBM storage products.
This book is intended as a reference for basic and comprehensive information about the IBM Storage products portfolio. It provides a starting point for establishing your own enterprise storage environment.
Unless otherwise specified, this book describes the IBM storage products as of March 2015.
Table of contents
Part 1. IBM storage solutions
Chapter 1. Introduction to IBM storage
Chapter 2. IBM Virtual Storage Center
Chapter 3. IBM storage cloud solutions
Chapter 4. IBM Spectrum Scale
Part 2. Disk systems
Chapter 5. Entry-level disk storage
Chapter 6. Midrange disk systems
Chapter 7. Enterprise disk systems
Chapter 8. IBM FlashSystem storage
Part 3. Tape systems
Chapter 9. IBM tape drives
Chapter 10. IBM tape automation products
Chapter 11. IBM tape virtualization products
Chapter 12. Complementary products for tape storage
Part 4. Storage networking
Chapter 13. Introduction to storage networking
Chapter 14. Storage area network products
Part 5. IBM storage software
Chapter 15. IBM storage virtualization
Chapter 16. IBM SAN Volume Controller
Chapter 17. Tivoli Storage Manager overview
Chapter 18. IBM Tivoli Storage Productivity Center
Chapter 19. IBM Security Key Lifecycle Manager
Part 6. IBM z/OS storage management
Chapter 20. Data management with IBM DFSMS V2.1
Chapter 21. IBM z/OS storage management tools
Appendix A. High Performance Storage System (HPSS)
Appendix B. Withdrawn products