This IBM® Redpaper™ publication is a comprehensive guide covering the IBM Power System E870 (9119-MME) and IBM Power System E880 (9119-MHE) servers that support IBM AIX®, IBM i, and Linux operating systems. The objective of this paper is to introduce the major innovative Power E870 and Power E880 offerings and their relevant functions:
- The new IBM POWER8 processor, available at frequencies of 4.024 GHz, 4.190 GHz, and 4.350 GHz.
- Up to 16 TB of memory in the E870 and 32 TB in the E880
- Significantly strengthened cores and larger caches
- Two integrated memory controllers with improved latency and bandwidth
- Integrated I/O subsystem and hot-pluggable PCIe Gen3 I/O slots
- I/O drawer expansion options offers greater flexibility
- Improved reliability, serviceability, and availability (RAS) functions
- IBM EnergyScale™ technology that provides features such as power trending, power-saving, capping of power, and thermal measurement
This publication is for professionals who want to acquire a better understanding of IBM Power Systems™ products.
This paper expands the current set of IBM Power Systems documentation by providing a desktop reference that offers a detailed technical description of the Power E870 and Power E880 systems.
This paper does not replace the latest marketing materials and configuration tools. It is intended as an additional source of information that, together with existing sources, can be used to enhance your knowledge of IBM server solutions.
Related Blog Posts
Table of contents
Chapter 1. General description
Chapter 2. Architecture and technical overview
Chapter 3. Virtualization
Chapter 4. Reliability, availability, and serviceability