This IBM® Redpaper™ publication is a comprehensive guide covering the IBM Power 710 (8231-E1C) and Power 730 (8231-E2C) servers supporting IBM AIX®, IBM i, and Linux operating systems. The goal of this paper is to introduce the innovative Power 710 and Power 730 offerings and their major functions, including these:
- The POWER7™ processor available at frequencies of 3.0 GHz, 3.55 GHz, and 3.7 GHz.
- The specialized POWER7 Level 3 cache that provides greater bandwidth, capacity, and reliability.
- The 2-port 10/100/1000 Base-TX Ethernet PCI Express adapter included in the base configuration and installed in a PCIe Gen2 x4 slot.
- The integrated SAS/SATA controller for HDD, SSD, tape, and DVD. This controller supports built-in hardware RAID 0, 1, and 10.
- PowerVM™ virtualization including PowerVM Live Partition Mobility and PowerVM Active Memory™ Sharing.
- Active Memory Expansion that provides more usable memory than what is physically installed on the system.
- EnergyScale™ technology that provides features such as power trending, power-saving, capping of power, and thermal measurement.
Professionals who want to acquire a better understanding of IBM Power Systems products can benefit from reading this paper.
This paper expands the current set of IBM Power Systems documentation by providing a desktop reference that offers a detailed technical description of the Power 710 and Power 730 systems.
This paper does not replace the latest marketing materials and configuration tools. It is intended as an additional source of information that, together with existing sources, can be used to enhance your knowledge of IBM server solutions.
Table of contents
Chapter 1. General description
Chapter 2. Architecture and technical overview
Chapter 3. Virtualization
Chapter 4. Continuous availability and manageability
Others who downloaded this publication also downloaded