IBM TS4500 R5 Tape Library Guide
An IBM Redbooks publication
Published 06 December 2018
IBM Form #: SG24-8235-06
Rate and comment
Authors: Larry Coyne, Michael Engelbrecht, Simon Browne, Illarion Borisevich, Robert Beiderbeck
The IBM® TS4500 (TS4500) tape library is a next-generation tape solution that offers higher storage density and integrated management than previous solutions.
This IBM Redbooks® publication gives you a close-up view of the new IBM TS4500 tape library. In the TS4500, IBM delivers the density that today’s and tomorrow’s data growth requires. It has the cost-effectiveness and the manageability to grow with business data needs, while you preserve existing investments in IBM tape library products.
Now, you can achieve both a low cost per terabyte (TB) and a high TB density per square foot because the TS4500 can store up to 11 petabytes (PB) of uncompressed data in a single frame library or scale up to 2 PB per square foot to over 350 PB. The TS4500 offers the following benefits:
- High availability: Dual active accessors with integrated service bays reduce inactive service space by 40%. The Elastic Capacity option can be used to completely eliminate inactive service space.
- Flexibility to grow: The TS4500 library can grow from the right side and the left side of the first L frame because models can be placed in any active position.
- Increased capacity: The TS4500 can grow from a single L frame up to another 17 expansion frames with a capacity of over 23,000 cartridges.
- High-density (HD) generation 1 frames from the TS3500 library can be redeployed in a TS4500.
- Capacity on demand (CoD): CoD is supported through entry-level, intermediate, and base-capacity configurations.
- Advanced Library Management System (ALMS): ALMS supports dynamic storage management, which enables users to create and change logical libraries and configure any drive for any logical library.
- Support for IBM TS1160 while also supporting TS1155, TS1150, and TS1140 tape drive: The TS1160 gives organizations an easy way to deliver fast access to data, improve security, and provide long-term retention, all at a lower cost than disk solutions. The TS1160 offers high-performance, flexible data storage with support for data encryption. Also, this enhanced fifth-generation drive can help protect investments in tape automation by offering compatibility with existing automation.
The new TS1160 Tape Drive Model 60E delivers a dual 10 Gb or 25 Gb Ethernet host attachment interface that is optimized for cloud-based and hyperscale environments.
The TS1160 Tape Drive Model 60F delivers a native data rate of 400 MBps, the same load/ready, locate speeds, and access times as the TS1155, and includes dual-port 16 Gb Fibre Channel support.
- Support of the IBM Linear Tape-Open (LTO) Ultrium 8 tape drive: The LTO Ultrium 8 offering represents significant improvements in capacity, performance, and reliability over the previous generation, LTO Ultrium 7, while still protecting your investment in the previous technology.
- Support of LTO 8 Type M cartridge (M8): The LTO Program is introducing a new capability with LTO-8 drives. The ability of the LTO-8 drive to write 9 TB on a brand new LTO-7 cartridge instead of 6 TB as specified by the LTO-7 format. Such a cartridge is called an LTO-7 initialized LTO-8 Type M cartridge.
- Integrated TS7700 back-end Fibre Channel (FC) switches are available.
- Up to four library-managed encryption (LME) key paths per logical library are available.
This book describes the TS4500 components, feature codes, specifications, supported tape drives, encryption, new integrated management console (IMC), and command-line interface (CLI). You learn how to accomplish the following specific tasks:
- Improve storage density with increased expansion frame capacity up to 2.4 times and support 33% more tape drives per frame.
- Manage storage by using the ALMS feature.
- Improve business continuity and disaster recovery with dual active accessor, automatic control path failover, and data path failover.
- Help ensure security and regulatory compliance with tape-drive encryption and Write Once Read Many (WORM) media.
- Support IBM LTO Ultrium 8, 7, 6, and 5, IBM TS1160, TS1155, TS1150, and TS1140 tape drives.
- Provide a flexible upgrade path for users who want to expand their tape storage as their needs grow.
- Reduce the storage footprint and simplify cabling with 10 U of rack space on top of the library.
This guide is for anyone who wants to understand more about the IBM TS4500 tape library. It is particularly suitable for IBM clients, IBM Business Partners, IBM specialist sales representatives, and technical specialists.
Table of contents
Chapter 1. IBM TS4500 tape library
Chapter 2. TS4500 Ultrium Linear Tape-Open and 3592 tape drives
Chapter 3. Encryption
Chapter 4. TS4500 management graphical user interface
Chapter 5. Command-line interface
Others who read this publication also read
Follow IBM Redbooks
Follow IBM Redbooks