The IBM® TS4500 tape library is a next-generation tape solution that offers higher storage density and integrated management.
This IBM Redbooks® publication gives you a close-up view of the new IBM TS4500 tape library. In the TS4500, IBM delivers the density that today's and tomorrow's data growth require, with the cost-effectiveness and the manageability to grow with business data needs, while you preserve existing investments in IBM tape library products. Now, you can achieve both a low cost per terabyte (TB) and a high TB density per square foot, because the TS4500 can store up to 5.5 petabytes (PBs) of data in a single 10 square foot library frame, which is up to 3.4 times more capacity than the IBM TS3500 tape library. The TS4500 offers these benefits:
- Flexibility to grow: The TS4500 library can grow from both the right side and the left side of the first L frame because models can be placed in any active position.
- Increased capacity: The TS4500 can grow from a single L frame up to an additional 17 expansion frames with a capacity of over 23,000 cartridges.
- Capacity on demand (CoD): CoD is supported through entry-level, intermediate, and base-capacity configurations.
- Advanced Library Management System (ALMS): ALMS supports dynamic storage management, which enables users to create and change logical libraries and configure any drive for any logical library.
- Support for the IBM TS1150 tape drive: The TS1150 gives organizations an easy way to deliver fast access to data, improve security, and provide long-term retention, all at a lower cost than disk solutions. The TS1150 offers high-performance, flexible data storage with support for data encryption. Also, this fifth-generation drive can help protect investments in tape automation by offering compatibility with existing automation.
- Support of the IBM Linear Tape-Open (LTO) Ultrium 7 tape drive: The LTO Ultrium 7 offering represents significant improvements in capacity, performance, and reliability over the previous generation, LTO Ultrium 6, while they still protect your investment in the previous technology.
This book describes TS4500 components, feature codes, specifications, supported tape drives, encryption, the new integrated management console, and the command-line interface (CLI). You will learn how to accomplish several specific tasks:
- Improve storage density with increased expansion frame capacity up to 2.4 times and support 33% more tape drives per frame.
- Manage storage by using the ALMS feature.
- Improve business continuity and disaster recovery with automatic control path and data path failover.
- Help ensure security and regulatory compliance with tape-drive encryption and Write Once Read Many (WORM) media.
- Support IBM LTO Ultrium 7, 6, and 5, IBM TS1150, and TS1140 tape drives.
- Provide a flexible upgrade path for users who want to expand their tape storage as their needs grow.
- Reduce the storage footprint and simplify cabling with 10 U of rack space on top of the library.
This guide is for anyone who wants to understand more about the IBM TS4500 tape library. It is particularly suitable for IBM clients, IBM Business Partners, IBM specialist sales representatives, and technical specialists.
Table of contents
Chapter 1. IBM TS4500 tape library
Chapter 2. TS4500 Ultrium Linear Tape-Open and 3592 tape drives
Chapter 3. Encryption
Chapter 4. TS4500 management graphical user interface (GUI)
Chapter 5. Command-line interface (CLI)