This IBM® Redbooks® publication will help you install, tailor, and configure ProtecTIER® products with Tivoli® Storage Manager to harness the performance and the power of the two products working together as a data protection solution.
This book goes beyond the best practices of each product and provides in-depth explanations of each of the items that are configurable, as well as the underlying reasons behind recommendations, with enough detailed information to allow an administrator to make the right choices about which methods to use when implementing both products to meet and to exceed the business requirements.
This IBM Redbooks publication provides discussion and guidance on the following topics:
- Terminology and concepts on ProtecTIER and Tivoli Storage Manager.
- Planning for ProtecTIER running with Tivoli Storage Manager.
- Setup and configuration of the IBM ProtecTIER device as a storage pool in the Tivoli Storage Manager environment, primarily as a Virtual Tape Library (VTL) interface, with some discussion as a File System Interface (FSI).
- Day to day administration of ProtecTIER when it is used in a Tivoli Storage Manager environment.
- Overview of how to plan for Disaster recovery in a ProtecTIER and Tivoli Storage Manager environment.
- Monitoring and problem solving, and guidance on how to review ProtecTIER logs and Tivoli Storage Manager server logs to identify the source of problems.
- Hints and tips, and use cases for ProtecTIER and Tivoli Storage Manager administrators.
This IBM Redbooks publication is intended for storage administrators and architects who have ordered and installed IBM ProtecTIER Products and want to implement Tivoli Storage Manager as part of a data protection solution. This book is also intended for anyone that wants to learn more about applying and leveraging the benefits of ProtecTIER running with Tivoli Storage Manager.
Table of contents
Chapter 1. IBM Tivoli Storage Manager and IBM ProtecTIER
Chapter 2. Planning for ProtecTIER running with Tivoli Storage Manager
Chapter 3. Setup and configuration details
Chapter 4. Administering ProtecTIER
Chapter 5. Disaster Recovery
Chapter 6. Monitoring and Problem Solving
Chapter 7. Hints and Tips
Chapter 8. Use Cases
These pages are Web versions of IBM Redbooks- and Redpapers-in-progress. They are published here for those who need the information now and may contain spelling, layout and grammatical errors.
This material has not been submitted to any formal IBM test and is published AS IS. It has not been the subject of rigorous review. Your feedback is welcomed to improve the usefulness of the material to others.
IBM assumes no responsibility for its accuracy or completeness. The use of this information or the implementation of any of these techniques is a customer responsibility and depends upon the customer's ability to evaluate and integrate them into the customer's operational environment.