IBM® Power Virtualization Center (PowerVC) is an advanced enterprise virtualization management offering for IBM® Power Systems™, based on the OpenStack framework. This IBM Redbooks® publication introduces PowerVC and helps you understand its functions, planning, installation, and setup.
PowerVC is available in two editions: Express Edition to manage small deployments through the Integrated Virtualization Manager and Standard Edition to manage larger deployments, either with IBM PowerVM® under Hardware Management Console control or with IBM PowerKVM. PowerVC can manage Linux on Power Systems and IBM AIX® running on IBM POWER® hardware, including IBM Flex Systems POWER compute nodes.
PowerVC editions include the following features and benefits:
- Virtual Image capture, deployment, and management
- Policy-based Virtual Machine (VM) placement to improve use
- Management of real-time optimization and VM resilience to increase productivity
- Managing real-time optimization and VM resilience to increase productivity
- VM mobility with placement policies to reduce burden on IT staff in a simple-to-install and easy-to-use GUI
- An open and extensible PowerVM management system that you can adapt as you need and runs in parallel with existing infrastructure, preserving your investment
- A management system for existing PowerVM deployments
You will also find all the details about how we set up the lab environment used in this book.
This book is for experienced users of IBM PowerVM and other virtualization solutions who want to understand and implement the next generation of enterprise virtualization management for Power Systems.
Unless stated otherwise, the content of this book refers to version 1.2.1 of IBM PowerVC.
Related Blog Posts
Table of contents
Chapter 1. PowerVC introduction
Chapter 2. PowerVC installation planning
Chapter 3. PowerVC installation
Chapter 4. PowerVC Standard Edition for managing PowerVM
Chapter 5. PowerVC Standard Edition for managing PowerKVM
Chapter 6. PowerVC Express Edition for managing PowerKVM
Chapter 7. PowerVC lab environment