IBM® Power Virtualization Center (PowerVC™) is an advanced enterprise virtualization management offering for IBM® Power Systems™, which is based on the OpenStack framework. This IBM Redbooks® publication introduces PowerVC and helps you understand its functions, planning, installation, and setup.
Starting with PowerVC version 1.2.2, the Express Edition offering is no longer available and the Standard Edition is the only offering. PowerVC supports both large and small deployments, either by managing IBM PowerVM® that is controlled with the Hardware Management Console (HMC) or by managing PowerKVM directly. PowerVC can manage IBM AIX®, IBM i, and Linux workloads that run on POWER® hardware, including IBM PurePower systems.
PowerVC editions include the following features and benefits:
- Virtual Image capture, deployment, and management
- Policy-based Virtual Machine (VM) placement to improve use
- Management of real-time optimization and VM resilience to increase productivity
- Managing real-time optimization and VM resilience to increase productivity
- VM Mobility with placement policies to reduce the burden on IT staff in a simple-to-install and easy-to-use graphical user interface (GUI)
- An open and extensible PowerVM management system that you can adapt as you need and that runs in parallel with existing infrastructure, preserving your investment
- A management system for existing PowerVM deployments
You will also find all the details about how we set up the lab environment that is used in this book.
This book is for experienced users of IBM PowerVM and other virtualization solutions who want to understand and implement the next generation of enterprise virtualization management for Power Systems. Unless stated otherwise, the content of this book refers to versions 1.2.2 and 1.2.3 of IBM PowerVC.
Unless stated otherwise, the content of this book refers to versions 1.2.2 and 1.2.3 of IBM PowerVC Version 1.2.3 Introduction and Configuration IBM PowerVC.
Table of contents
Chapter 1. PowerVC introduction
Chapter 2. PowerVC versions and releases
Chapter 3. PowerVC installation planning
Chapter 4. PowerVC installation
Chapter 5. PowerVC Standard Edition for managing PowerVM
Chapter 6. PowerVC Standard Edition for managing PowerKVM
Chapter 7. PowerVC lab environment