This IBM® Redpaper™ publication is a comprehensive guide covering the IBM Power 710 (8231-E1D) and Power 730 (8231-E2D) servers that support IBM AIX®, IBM i, and Linux operating systems. This paper also describes the IBM PowerLinux™ 7R1 (8246-L1D and 8246-L1T) and the PowerLinux 7R2 (8246-L2D and 8246-L2T) servers that support the Linux operating system. The goal of this paper is to introduce the innovative Power 710, Power 730, PowerLinux 7R1, and PowerLinux offerings and their major functions:
- IBM POWER7+™ processor is available at frequencies of 3.6 GHz, 4.2 GHz, and 4.3 GHz.
- Larger IBM POWER7+ Level 3 cache provides greater bandwidth, capacity, and reliability.
- Integrated SAS/SATA controller for HDD, SSD, tape, and DVD supports built-in hardware RAID 0, 1, and 10.
- New IBM PowerVM® V2.2.2 features, such as 20 LPARs per core.
- Improved IBM Active Memory™ Expansion technology provides more usable memory than is physically installed in the system.
Professionals who want to acquire a better understanding of IBM Power Systems™ products can benefit from reading this paper.
This paper expands the current set of IBM Power Systems documentation by providing a desktop reference that offers a detailed technical description of the Power 710 and Power 730 systems.
This paper does not replace the latest marketing materials and configuration tools. It is intended as an additional source of information that, together with existing sources, can be used to enhance your knowledge of IBM server solutions.
Table of contents
Chapter 1. General description
Chapter 2. Architecture and technical overview
Chapter 3. Virtualization
Chapter 4. Continuous availability and manageability
Others who downloaded this publication also downloaded