The IBM® System Networking RackSwitch™ G8264T with support for 10GBase-T and 40-Gb Ethernet connections is ideal for clients who are looking to expand into 10-Gb environments without compromising their data center’s overall total cost of ownership (TCO). It provides flexible connectivity for high-speed server and storage devices across distances up to 100m at a low cost. The G8264T has a feature-rich design with key virtualization features such as CEE, high availability, and enterprise class Layer 2 and Layer 3 functionalities.
The IBM® System Networking RackSwitch™ G8264T that uses 10Gbase-T and 40-Gb QSFP+ Ethernet technology is specifically designed for the data center and is ideal for today's big data, cloud, and optimized workload solutions. It is an enterprise class Layer 2 and Layer 3 full-featured switch that delivers line-rate, high-bandwidth switching, filtering, and traffic queuing without delaying data. Large data-center grade buffers help keep traffic moving, while the redundant power and fans and numerous high availability features help provide high availability for business-sensitive traffic.
The G8264T shown in Figure 1 is part of a comprehensive 10GBase-T IBM solution that includes servers, storage, and networking. This solution also provides improved virtualization, better management, and smarter connectivity options for next generation data centers. G8264T provides flexible connectivity across distances up to 100m at a low cost, making the G8264T an optimal choice for clients who want to connect high-speed server and storage devices.
Figure 1. IBM System Networking RackSwitch G8264T
Did you know?
- The G8264T offers forty-eight 10Gbase-T connections, allowing for the use of cost-effective CAT6/6A cables for distances up to 100m.
- The RackSwitch G8264T supports numerous types of configurations, including 1 Gb, 10 Gb, and 40 Gb, network-attached storage (NAS), and iSCSI.
- IBM is a leader in network virtualization, offering the on-switch IBM VMready® software that reduces the complexity of managing virtual machines (VMs) in the network. For more information about IBM VMready, go to:
- G8264T is OpenFlow enabled. With OpenFlow, you create user-controlled virtual networks more easily, optimize performance dynamically, and minimize complexity when used with IBM Programmable Network Controller. For more information about IBM Programmable Network Controller, go to:
Part number information
Table 1 lists the part numbers for ordering IBM System x® and IBM Power Systems™ modules and additional options. Products are ordered through IBM System x and IBM Storage and Power ordering systems.
Note: Transceivers are not included in the purchase of the switch, and all transceivers require the appropriate cables.
Table 1. IBM part numbers and feature codes for ordering (part 1)
|Description||System x part number||Power Systems and Storage feature code|
|IBM System Networking RackSwitch G8264T|
|IBM System Networking RackSwitch G8264T|
Table 1. IBM part numbers and feature codes for ordering (part 2)
|40 Gb options||System x part number||Power Systems and Storage feature code|
|IBM QSFP+ SR Transceiver||49Y7884||EB27|
|10 m IBM QSFP+ MTP Optical Cable||90Y3519||EB2J|
|30 m IBM QSPF+ MTP Optical Cable||90Y3521||EB2K|
|1 m IBM QSFP+ DAC Break Out Cable*||49Y7886||EB24|
|3 m IBM QSFP+ DAC Break Out Cable*||49Y7887||EB25|
|5 m IBM QSFP+ DAC Break Out Cable*||49Y7888||EB26|
|1 m IBM QSFP+-to-QSFP+ Cable*||49Y7890||EB2B|
|3 m IBM QSFP+-to-QSFP+ Cable*||49Y7891||EB2H|
|5 m IBM QSFP+-to-QSFP+ Cable*||00D5810||ECBN|
|7 m IBM QSFP+-to-QSFP+ Cable*||00D4813||ECBP|
Table 1. IBM part numbers and feature codes for ordering (part 3)
|Miscellaneous options||System x part number||Power Systems and Storage feature code|
|IBM System Networking Adjustable 19" 4 Post Rail Kit||00D6185||EU27|
|Front-to-rear, hot-swappable 750WCFF power supply spare||00D5857|
|Rear-to-front, hot-swappable 750WCFF power supply spare||00D5858|
|Front-to-rear, hot-swappable fan assembly spare||49Y7939|
|Rear-to-front, hot-swappable fan assembly spare||88Y6026|
|Console cable kit spare||90Y9462||EUC4|
With the flexibility of the IBM G8264T, you can take advantage of the following technologies that are required for multiple environments:
- For 1 Gb links, you can simple use Cat5 type cabling.
- For 10 Gb, you can use the following items:
- 10GBase-T allows CAT6 or CAT6A cables for cost-effective long distances.
- Leverage the QSFP+ break out cable to get up to four 10Gb SFP+ connections per QSFP+ port.
- For 40 Gb links, you can use QSFP to QSFP cables up to 7m, or you can use QSFP transceivers and MTP cables for longer distances.
For the options and their supported distances, see Figure 2.
Figure 2. Options and their supported distances
The module part numbers include the following items:
- One IBM System Networking RackSwitch G8264T
- Generic Rail Mount Kit (2-post)
- IBM serial cable
Power cords, listed in Table 2, are shipped separately at an additional charge.
Table 2. Power cords and descriptions for IBM System x
|39Y7917||Power Cord Europe AC plug 10A/250 V; OPT|
|39Y7918||Power Cord Europe (Denmark) AC plug 10A/250 V; OPT|
|39Y7919||Power Cord Europe (Switzerland) AC plug 10A/250 V; OPT|
|39Y7920||Power Cord Israel AC plug 10A/250 V; OPT|
|39Y7922||Power Cord South Africa AC plug 10A/250 V; OPT|
|39Y7923||Power Cord UK AC plug 13A/250 V; OPT|
|39Y7924||Power Cord Australia AC plug 10A/250 V; OPT|
|39Y7925||Power Cord Korea AC plug 10A/250 V; OPT|
|46M2593||Power Cord Japan AC plug 10A/125 V; OPT|
|39Y7927||Power Cord India AC plug 10A/250 V; OPT|
|39Y7928||Power Cord China AC plug 16A/250 V; OPT|
|39Y7929||Power Cord Brazil AC plug 16A/250 V; OPT|
|39Y7930||Power Cord Uruguay/Argentina AC plug 16A/250 V; OPT|
|46M2592||Power Cord US/Canada AC plug 10A/125 V; OPT|
Table 3 lists the line cords, descriptions, and feature codes.
Table 3. Line cords description and IBM Power System and Storage feature codes
|Power Cord 4.3m (14-ft), Drawer to Wall/IBM PDU (250V/10A)||6458|
|Power Cord 4.3m (14-ft), Drawer to Wall/OEM PDU (250V/15A) U. S.||6469|
|Power Cord 1.8m (6-ft), Drawer to Wall (125V/15A)||6470|
|Power Cord 2.7m (9-ft), Drawer to Wall/OEM PDU (125V/15A)||6471|
|Power Cord 2.7m (9-ft), Drawer to Wall/OEM PDU (250V/16A)||6472|
|Power Cord 2.7m (9-ft), Drawer to Wall/OEM PDU (250V/10A)||6473|
|Power Cord 2.7m (9-ft), Drawer to Wall/OEM PDU, (250V/13A)||6474|
|Power Cord 2.7m (9-ft), Drawer to Wall/OEM PDU, (250V/16A)||6475|
|Power Cord 2.7m (9-ft), Drawer to Wall/OEM PDU, (250V/10A)||6476|
|Power Cord 2.7m (9-ft), Drawer to Wall/OEM PDU, (250V/16A)||6477|
|Power Cord 2.7m (9-ft), Drawer to Wall/OEM PDU, (125V/15A or 250V/10A)||6488|
|Power Cord 2.7m (9-ft), Drawer to Wall/OEM PDU, (250V/10A)||6493|
|Power Cord 2.7m (9-ft), Drawer to Wall/OEM PDU, (250V/10A)||6494|
|Power Cord 4.3m (14-ft), Drawer to Wall/OEM PDU (125V/15A)||6660|
|Power Cord 2.8m (9.2-ft), Drawer to Wall/IBM PDU, (250V/ 10A)||6665|
|Power Cord 2.7m (9-ft), Drawer to Wall/OEM PDU, (250V/10A)||6680|
|Power Cord 2.7m (9-ft), Drawer to Wall/OEM PDU, (250V/10A)||6671|
|Power Cord 1.5m (5-ft), Drawer to Wall/OEM PDU, (250V/10A)||6672|
The IBM System Networking RackSwitch G8264T offers the following benefits:
- Low cost cabling
The ability to use CAT6 or CAT6A cabling can save clients thousands of dollars for connections anywhere from a couple of feet to 100 meters, compared to SFP+ models.
- High performance
If you require the use of 10GBase-T, the 10-Gb/40-Gb capabilities provide the best combination of nonblocking line-rate switching with throughput of 1.2 Tbps.
- Lower power and better cooling
The typical power consumption of the IBM RackSwitch G8264T is 385 W, which is a fraction of the power consumption of most competitive 10GBase-T offerings. Unlike side-cooled switches, which can cause heat recirculation and reliability concerns, the front-to-rear or rear-to-front cooling design of the G8264T reduces data center air conditioning costs by having airflow match the servers in the rack. In addition, variable speed fans assist in automatically reducing power consumption.
- VM-aware networking
IBM VMready software on the switch simplifies configuration and improves security in virtualized environments. VMready automatically detects virtual machine movement between physical servers and instantly reconfigures the network policies of each VM across the VLANs to keep the network up and running without interrupting traffic or impacting performance. VMready works with all leading VM hypervisors.
- Layer 3 functionality
The IBM switch includes Layer 3 functionality, which provides security and performance benefits, as inter-VLAN traffic stays within the switch. This switch also provides the full range of Layer 3 protocols from static routes for technologies such as Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) and Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) for enterprise customers.
- Seamless interoperability
IBM switches perform seamlessly with upstream switches from other vendors.
- Fault tolerance
These IBM switches learn alternate routes automatically and perform faster convergence in the unlikely case of a link, switch, or power failure. The switch uses proven technologies, such as L2 trunk failover, advanced VLAN-based failover, VRRP, and HotLink.
- OpenFlow enabled
The RackSwitch G8264T offers benefits of OpenFlow. OpenFlow is the new open application programming interface (API) that enables the network administrator to easily configure and manage virtual networks that control traffic on a “per-flow” basis. It creates multiple independent virtual networks and related policies without dealing with the complexities of the underlying physical network and protocols. The G8264T can also be used with the IBM Programmable Network Controller, which is the IBM network controller that is compliant with OpenFlow.
Supports IGMP Snooping v1, v2, and v3 with 2 K IGMP groups, in addition to Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) such as PIM Sparse Mode or PIM Dense Mode. See Table 4 to select the appropriate switch.
Table 4. Comparison of the IBM RackSwitch G8264 and IBM RackSwitch G8264T features
IBM RackSwitch G8264
IBM RackSwitch G8264T
|Port types||Based on SFP+||Based on 10GBase-T|
|Latency||Lower latency: 880 nanosecond||3.2 microseconds|
|Typical power||Lower power: :275 watts||Competitive versus other 10GBase-T, 385W|
|Copper cable length||Up to 7m||Up to 100m|
|Total distance||Up to 40KM with Transceiver||Limited to 100m|
|TCO||Less than other SFP+||Lower TCO: For 100m and less|
(based on adapter, cables and switch)
The IBM RackSwitch G8264T includes an IBM standard 3-year hardware warranty with Next Business Day (NBD), 9x5, Customer Replaceable Unit (CRU) warranty service and software warranty. IBM also reserves the right to provide new features as part of future software releases. Software Upgrade Entitlement is based on the switch’s warranty or post warranty extension and service contracts.
Features and specifications
Performance, hardware, and software features are described in the following lists.
IBM RackSwitch G8264T has the following performance:
- 100% Line rate performance
- 1280 Gbps non-blocking switching throughput (full duplex)
- Latency: 3.2 microseconds
- 960 Mpps
IBM RackSwitch G8264T has the following hardware features:
- IBM System Networking RackSwitch G8264T Rear-to-Front Versions
For ports in the rear of the rack matching System x, IBM BladeCenter®, IBM Flex System™, and Power Systems designs
- IBM System Networking RackSwitch G8264T Front-to-Rear Versions
For ports in the front of the rack matching airflow of IBM iDataPlex®
- IBM System Networking RackSwitch G8264T Rear-to-Front Versions
- Interface options
- Forty-eight 10Gbase-T/1000Base-T RJ45 ports (10 GbE and 1 GbE)
- Four QSFP+ ports (40 GbE)
- One 10/100/1000 Ethernet RJ45 port for out-of-band management
- One USB port for mass storage device connection
- One mini-USB Console port for serial access
- Server-like port orientations, enabling short and simple cabling
- 17.3 inches wide, 20.3 inches deep, 1 RU high
- 11.1 kg (24.5 lb)
- Rack Installation Kit
- Generic Rack Mount Kit (2-post)
- Can be mounted vertically or horizontally
- System LEDs to indicate link status, fan, power, and stacking
- Front-to-rear or rear-to-front cooling
- Redundant variable hot-swap speed fans for reduced power draw
Figure 3. Rear view of IBM RackSwitch G8264T
- Dual hot swap power modules, 50 - 60 Hz, 100 - 240 VAC auto-switching per module
- Typical power consumption of 385 Watts
- Environmental specifications
- Temperature: Ambient operating: 0º C to + 40º C
- Relative humidity: Noncondensing, operating 10 - 90%
- Altitude: Operating 1,800 m (6,000 feet)
- Typical heat dissipation: 1330 BTU/hour
- Mean time between failures (MTBF): 107,639 hours at 40 °C
IBM RackSwitch G8264T has the following software features, as of 7.6:
- Wire Speed Filtering: Allow and Deny
- SSH v1, v2
- HTTPS Secure BBI
- Secure interface login and password
- MAC address move notification
- Shift B Boot menu (Password Recovery/ Factory Default)
- Port-based VLANs
- 4096 VLAN ids supported
- 2048 Active VLANs (802.1Q)
- 802.1x with Guest VLAN
- Private VLAN Edge
- Lossless Ethernet
- 802.1 Data Center Bridging
- Priority Based Flow Control (PFC)
- Enhanced Transmission Selection (ETS)
- Data Center Bridge Exchange protocol (DCBX)
- FIP Snooping
- Converged Enhanced Ethernet
- Static Trunks (EtherChannel)
- Configurable Trunk Hash algorithm
- Spanning Tree
- Multiple Spanning Tree (802.1 s)
- Rapid Spanning Tree (802.1 w)
- Fast Uplink Convergence
- BPDU guard
- Quality of Service
- QoS 802.1p (priority queues)
- DSCP remarking
- Routing protocols
- RIP v1/v2
- IPv6 OSPF v3 (RFC 5340)
- High availability
- Layer 2 failover
- Virtual Router Redundancy support (VRRP)
- IGMP Snooping v1, v2, and v3 with 2 K IGMP groups
- Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM Sparse Mode/Dense Mode)
- Port mirroring
- ACL-based mirroring
- sFlow Version 5
- OpenFlow hybrid mode
- VMready with VI API support
- System Networking Switch Center (SNSC)
- ISCLI (Cisco-like)
- Scriptable CLI
- Browser-based client or Telnet
- Standard protocols
- IPv4, IPv6
- SNMP v1, v2c, and v3
- Secondary NTP Support
- DHCP Client
- DHCP Relay
- 128 K MAC Table
- 9 K Jumbo Frames
- 802.3X Flow Control
- Upgrade firmware via serial or TFTP
- Dual software images
This section describes the following common configurations for the G8264T:
- Rack-optimized server aggregation for rack servers using 10GBase-T
- iSCSI storage implementation
Rack-optimized server aggregation for rack servers using 10GBase-T
The RackSwitch G8264T is an ideal networking device for port aggregation, allowing the consolidation of one to three racks full of IBM System x type servers before connecting to an upstream switch. IBM System x servers can use a 10GBase-T adapter installed, such as the Broadcom NetXtreme II Dual Port 10GBase-T Adapter for IBM System x, and then CAT6/6A cables can be used to connect upstream to the G8264T. The RackSwitch G8316 would be an attractive offering for 40Gb upstream connects from the G8264T helping clients create a flat two layer networking implementation as shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4. G8316 Aggregation for multiple G8264T switches
For more information, see Broadcom NetXtreme II Dual Port 10GBase-T Adapter for IBM System x, TIPS0846, at: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/tips0846.html?Open
iSCSI storage implementation
If you need to use iSCSI or other storage offerings based on 10GBase-T, for example, the IBM System Storage® DS3512, see IBM System Storage DS3500 Express: Affordable performance and flexibility with greater scalability, efficiency and ease of use at:
The IBM RackSwitch G8264T is a good solution for connecting IBM servers and IBM System Storage DS3500, as shown in Figure 5.
Figure 5. The G8264T connected to DS3500
- IBM Offering Information page (to search on announcement letters, sales manuals, or both):
On this page, enter G8264T RackSwitch, select the information type, and then click Search. On the next page, narrow your search results by geography and language.
- IBM System Networking RackSwitch G8264T product publications
- Application Guide
- Industry-Standard CLI Reference
- Browser-Based Interface (BBI) Quick Guide
- Menu-based CLI Command Reference
- IBM VMready
- IBM Programmable Network Controller
This material has not been submitted to any formal IBM test and is published AS IS. It has not been the subject of rigorous review. IBM assumes no responsibility for its accuracy or completeness. The use of this information or the implementation of any of these techniques is a client responsibility and depends upon the client's ability to evaluate and integrate them into the client's operational environment.