This document is being moved!
In September 2015, this document will be moved to lenovopress.com and will no longer be available on the IBM Redbooks site. Please bookmark the URL http://lenovopress.com/TIPS0912 to access this specific document both today and after the migration in September.
The Flex System™ EN6132 2-port 40Gb Ethernet Adapter in conjunction with the EN6131 40Gb Ethernet Switch offers the performance that you need to support clustered databases, parallel processing, transactional services, and high-performance embedded I/O applications, which reduces task completion time and lowers the cost per operation. The EN6132 adapter can help you achieve efficient computing by offloading (from the CPU) protocol processing and data movement impact, such as RDMA over Converged Ethernet and Send/Receive semantics, which allows more processor power for the application.
Changes in the June 25 update:
* Updated the table of supported severs with the x240 (7162) and X6 (7196) compute nodes
Table of contents
The Flex System™ EN6132 2-port 40Gb Ethernet Adapter in conjunction with the EN6132 40Gb Ethernet Switch offers the performance that you need to support clustered databases, parallel processing, transactional services, and high-performance embedded I/O applications, which reduces task completion time and lowers the cost per operation. The EN6132 adapter can help you achieve efficient computing by offloading (from the CPU) protocol processing and data movement impact, such as RDMA over Converged Ethernet and Send/Receive semantics, which allows more processor power for the application. The EN6132 2-port 40Gb Ethernet Adapter is shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1. Flex System EN6132 2-port 40Gb Ethernet Adapter
Did you know?
The 40 Gb Ethernet solution that is offered by Flex System can deploy more workloads per server without running into I/O bottlenecks. If there are failures or server maintenance, clients can move their virtual machines much faster by using 40 Gb interconnects within the chassis.
The 40 GbE switch and adapter are designed for low latency, high bandwidth, and computing efficiency for performance-driven server and storage clustering applications. They provide extreme scalability for low-latency clustered solutions with reduced packet hops.
The Flex System 40 GbE solution offers the highest bandwidth without adding any significant power impact. It can also help increase the system usage and decrease the number of network ports for further cost savings.
Part number information
Table 1 shows the part numbers for ordering the EN6132 adapter.
Table 1. Part numbers and feature codes for ordering
|Description||Part number||Feature code|
|Flex System EN6132 2-port 40Gb Ethernet Adapter||90Y3482||A3HK|
The part number for the EN6132 adapter includes the following items:
- One Flex System EN6132 2-port 40Gb Ethernet Adapter
- Technical Update Flyer
- Important Notices Flyer
- Warranty Flyer
- Documentation CD-ROM
The EN6132 2-port 40Gb Ethernet Adapter offers the following benefits:
- 10 GbE and 40 GbE connectivity to servers and storage
- Industry-leading throughput performance with low latency
- Ideal for clients running Ethernet infrastructure in high speed trading, Web 2.0, virtualization, and cloud computing
- Enables clients to maximize compute usage by removing I/O bottlenecks
- Improved application productivity and efficiency with support for protocol offload and RDMA over Converged Ethernet
- Support for industry-standard SR-IO Virtualization technology to deliver VM protection and granular levels of I/O services to applications
- High-availability and high-performance for data center networking
- Software compatibility with standard TCP/UDP/IP and iSCSI stacks
- Low power, low cost, and high reliability
Features and specifications
The EN6132 2-port 40Gb Ethernet Adapter has the following features and specifications:
- Based on Mellanox Connect-X3 technology
- PCI Express 3.0 x8 host-interface
- Two 40 Gb Ethernet ports that can operate at 10 Gbps or 40 Gbps speeds
- CPU offload of transport operations
- RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE).
- TCP/UDP/IP stateless offload.
- TCP/UDP/IP checksum offload
- TCP Large Send or Giant Send offload for segmentation
- Receive Side Scaling (RSS)
- End-to-end quality of service (QoS) and congestion control
- Support for IEEE 802.1p and IP DSCP/TOS traffic processing based on the class of service.
- Support for 802.3x flow control.
- Congestion Notification (IEEE Std 802.3Qau) limits the transmission rate to avoid frame losses in case of congestion in the network.
- Priority-Based Flow Control (PFC) (IEEE 802.1Qbb) extends 802.3x standard flow control to allow the switch to pause traffic based on the 802.1p priority value in each packet’s VLAN tag.
- Enhanced Transmission Selection (ETS) (IEEE 802.1Qaz) provides a method for allocating link bandwidth based on the 802.1p priority value in each packet’s VLAN tag.
- Hardware-based I/O virtualization
- Jumbo frame support (up to 10 KB)
- 802.1Q VLAN tagging
- NIC teaming and failover (static and LACP)
- Support for Wake on LAN (WoL)
The adapter supports the following Ethernet standards:
- IEEE 802.1p Class of Service (CoS) prioritization
- IEEE 802.1Q Tagged VLAN
- IEEE 802.1Qbb Priority-Based Flow Control (PFC)
- IEEE 802.1Qaz Enhanced Transmission Selection (ETS)
- IEEE 802.3ad Link Aggregation Control Protocol
- IEEE 802.3ae 10GBASE-KR backplane 10 Gb Ethernet
- IEEE 802.3ba 40GBASE-KR4 backplane 40 Gb Ethernet
- IEEE 802.3Qau Congestion Notification
- IEEE 802.3x Full-duplex Flow Control
Table 2 lists the Flex System compute nodes that support the EN6132 2-port 40Gb Ethernet Adapter.
Table 2. Supported servers
|Flex System EN6132 2-port 40Gb Ethernet Adapter||90Y3482|
For the latest information about the expansion cards that are supported by each blade server type, see ServerProven® at the following web address:
Supported I/O modules
The EN6132 2-port 40Gb Ethernet Adapter supports the I/O modules that are listed in Table 3.
Table 3. Supported I/O modules
|Description||Part number||Feature code|
|Flex System EN6131 40Gb Ethernet Switch||90Y9346||A3HJ|
Other I/O modules: Other I/O modules that are not listed in Table 3 are not supported.
The supported I/O modules are installed in the I/O bays in the rear of the Flex System Enterprise Chassis, as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2. Location of the I/O module bays in the Flex System Enterprise Chassis
The connections between the EN6132 adapters that are installed in the compute nodes to the supported I/O modules that are installed in the chassis I/O bays are shown in Figure 3. The figure also shows both half-wide compute nodes, such as the x240 with two adapters, and full-wide compute nodes, such as the x440 with four adapters.
Figure 3. Logical layout of the interconnects between EN6132 adapters and I/O modules
The EN6132 2-port 40Gb Ethernet Adapter can be installed in slots A1 and A2 of the half-wide compute nodes (such as x240), and slots A1, A2, A3, and A4 of the full-wide compute nodes (such as x440). A supported Ethernet I/O module must be installed in the corresponding I/O bay of the chassis (bays 1 and 2 when the adapter is installed slot A1 or A3 or bays 3 and 4 when the adapter is installed in slot A2 or A4).
In the compute nodes that have an integrated dual-port 10 GbE network interface controller (NIC), NIC ports are routed to bays 1 and 2 with a specialized periscope connector, and the adapter in slot A1 is not required. However, when needed, the periscope connector can be replaced with the EN6132 adapter. In such a case, integrated NIC is disabled.
Table 4 shows the connections between the EN6132 adapters that are installed in the compute nodes to the supported I/O modules that are installed in the chassis.
Table 4. EN6132 adapter to I/O bay correspondence
|I/O adapter slot|
in the server
|Port on the adapter||Corresponding I/O module bay in the chassis|
|Bay 1||Bay 2||Bay 3||Bay 4|
|Slot 1||Port 1||Yes|
|Slot 2||Port 1||Yes|
(full-wide compute nodes only)
(full-wide compute nodes only)
The EN6132 adapters are installed in slots in a supported compute node. Figure 4 shows the locations of the slots in the x240 Compute Node. The positions of the adapters in the other supported compute nodes are similar.
Figure 4. Location of the I/O adapter slots in the Flex System x240 Compute Node
Supported operating systems
The EN6132 2-port 40Gb Ethernet Adapter supports the following operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server x64 Edition
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Server x64 Edition
- SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 10 for AMD64/EM64T
- SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 11 for AMD64/EM64T
- VMware ESX 4.1
- VMware ESXi 4.1
- VMware vSphere 5.0 (ESXi)
- VMware vSphere 5.1 (ESXi)
- VMware vSphere 5.5 (ESXi)
There is a 1-year, customer-replaceable unit (CRU) limited warranty. When installed in a supported compute node, these I/O adapters assume your system’s base warranty and any Lenovo warranty service upgrade.
The EN6132 2-port 40Gb Ethernet Adapter has the following physical specifications:
Dimensions and weight (approximate):
- Width: 100 mm (3.9 in.)
- Depth: 80 mm (3.1 in.)
- Weight: 13 g (0.3 lb)
Shipping dimensions and weight (approximate):
- Height: 58 mm (2.3 in.)
- Width: 229 mm (9.0 in.)
- Depth: 208 mm (8.2 in.)
- Weight: 0.4 kg (0.89 lb)
The EN6131 2-port 40Gb Ethernet Adapter conforms to the following standards:
- IEC/EN 60950-1:2006
- ETSI EN 300 019-2-2
- IEC 60068-2- 64, 29, 32
The EN6132 2-port 40Gb Ethernet Adapter is used with the EN6131 40Gb Ethernet Switch. Figure 5 shows one EN6132 adapter that is installed in slot 1 of an x240 Compute Node, which in turn is installed in the chassis. Two EN6131 40Gb Ethernet Switches are installed in I/O bays 1 and 2.
Figure 5. Example configuration
Table 5 lists the parts that are used in the configuration.
Table 5. Components that are used when connecting the EN6132 2-port 40Gb Ethernet Adapter to the EN6131 40Gb Ethernet Switches
|Part number/machine type||Description||Quantity|
|8737||Flex System x240 Compute Node||1 - 14|
|90Y3482||Flex System EN6132 2-port 40Gb Ethernet Adapter (installed in slot 1)||1 per server|
|8721-A1x||Flex System Enterprise Chassis||1|
|90Y9346||Flex System EN6131 40Gb Ethernet Switch (in bays 1 and 2)||2|
Note: You also need QSFP+ modules and optical cables or QSFP+ DACs for the EN6131 switches (not shown in Table 7; see Flex System EN6131 40GB Ethernet Switch Product Guide for details) for the external 40 Gb Ethernet connectivity.
For more information, see the following resources:
- US Announcement Letter for the EN6132 2-port 40Gb Ethernet Adapter
- Product Guides for Flex System servers, switches and options
- Flex System Information Center (User's Guides for servers and options)
- Flex System Interoperability Guide
- Flex System Products and Technology by Lenovo, SG24-8255
- System x® and Cluster Solutions configurator (x-config)
- System x Configuration and Options Guide
- ServerProven for Flex System
This material has not been submitted to any formal IBM test and is published AS IS. It has not been the subject of rigorous review. IBM assumes no responsibility for its accuracy or completeness. The use of this information or the implementation of any of these techniques is a client responsibility and depends upon the client's ability to evaluate and integrate them into the client's operational environment.