Lenovo is open and ready for business with System x
IBM x86 products are now products of Lenovo in the U.S. and other countries. IBM will continue to host x86-related content on ibm.com until migrated to Lenovo.
Learn more about the acquisition
The network architecture on the Flex System platform has been specifically designed to address network challenges, giving you a very scalable way to integrate, optimize and automate your data center. The Flex System™ FC3052 2-port 8Gb Fibre Channel Adapter enables high speed access for Flex System compute nodes to an external storage area network (SAN). This adapter is based on the proven Emulex Fibre Channel stack, and works with any of the 8 Gb or 16 Gb Flex System Fibre Channel switch and pass-thru modules.
Changes in the January 28 update:
* Updated the table of supported compute nodes
The network architecture on the Flex System platform has been specifically designed to address network challenges, giving you a scalable way to integrate, optimize, and automate your data center. The Flex System™ FC3052 2-port 8Gb Fibre Channel Adapter enables high-speed access for Flex System compute nodes to an external storage area network (SAN). This adapter is based on the proven Emulex Fibre Channel stack, and works with any of the 8 Gb or 16 Gb Flex System Fibre Channel switch and pass-thru modules.
Figure 1 shows the Flex System FC3052 2-port 8Gb FC Adapter.
Figure 1. Flex System FC3052 2-port 8Gb FC Adapter
Did you know?
The performance bottleneck with Fibre Channel storage typically exists in the switching. By moving to 8 Gb adapters and switches, you can localize the bottleneck to the storage controller, where it can be managed by expanding the disks attached to storage. When compared to the previous generation 4 Gb adapters, the new generation 8 Gb adapters double the throughput speeds for Fibre Channel traffic. As a result, you can manage increased amounts of data and possibly benefit from a reduced hardware expense.
The adapter connects to the midplane directly, without having to use cables or small form-factor pluggable (SFP) modules. By eliminating these components for up to 14 servers, the resulting savings alone can cover the investment in the chassis.
Part number information
Table 1 shows the part number to order this card.
Table 1. Part number and feature code for ordering
|Description||Part number||Feature code||Feature code|
(x240 7863-10X only)*
|Flex System FC3052 2-port 8Gb FC Adapter||95Y2375||A2N5||EC25|
The part number includes the following items:
- One Flex System FC3052 2-port 8 Gb FC Adapter
- A documentation CD containing the adapter user’s guide
- The Important Notices document
The Flex System FC3052 2-port 8Gb FC Adapter has the following features and specifications:
- Based on the Emulex "Saturn" 8Gb Fibre Channel I/O Controller (IOC) chip
- Multifunction PCIe 2.0 device with two independent FC ports
- Auto-negotiation between 2-Gbps, 4-Gbps, or 8-Gbps FC link attachments
- Complies with the PCIe base and CEM 2.0 specifications
- Enablement of high-speed and dual-port connection to a Fibre Channel SAN
- Comprehensive virtualization capabilities with support for N_Port ID Virtualization (NPIV) and Virtual Fabric
- Simplified installation and configuration using common HBA drivers
- Common driver model that eases management and enables upgrades independent of HBA firmware
- Fibre Channel specifications:
- Bandwidth: Burst transfer rate of up to 1600 MBps full-duplex per port
- Support for point-to-point fabric connection: F-Port Fabric Login
- Support for Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop (FC-AL) and FCAL-2 FL-Port Login
- Support for Fibre Channel services class 2 and 3
- Single-chip design with two independent 8 Gbps serial Fibre Channel ports, each of which provides:
- Reduced instruction set computer (RISC) processor
- Integrated serializer/deserializer
- Receive direct memory access (DMA) sequencer
- Frame buffer
- Onboard DMA: DMA controller for each port: Transmit and receive
- Frame buffer first in, first out (FIFO): Integrated transmit and receive frame buffer for each data channel
- Support for Fabric Manager
- Support for UEFI
- Uses same FC/FCoE drivers as Flex System CN4054 10Gb Virtual Fabric Adapter
The following table lists the Flex System compute nodes that support the FC3052 2-port 8Gb FC Adapter.
Table 2. Supported servers
|FC3052 2-port 8Gb FC Adapter||95Y2375|
See the ServerProven website for the latest information about the expansion cards that are supported by each blade server type:
I/O adapter cards are installed in the slot in supported servers, such as the x240, as highlighted in the following figure.
Figure 2. Location of the I/O adapter slots in the Flex System x240 Compute Node
Supported I/O modules
The FC3052 2-port 8Gb FC Adapter supports the I/O modules listed in the following table. One or two compatible switches must be installed in the corresponding I/O bays in the chassis. Installing two switches means that both ports of the adapter are enabled. When the adapter is paired with a 16 Gb switch, those internal switch ports will operate at 8 Gbps.
Table 3. I/O modules supported with the FC3052 2-port 8Gb FC Adapter
|Description||Part number||Support the FC3052 adapter|
|Flex System FC3171 8Gb SAN Switch||69Y1930||Yes|
|Flex System FC3171 8Gb SAN Pass-thru||69Y1934||Yes|
|Flex System FC5022 16Gb SAN Scalable Switch||88Y6374||Yes|
|Flex System FC5022 24-port 16Gb ESB SAN Scalable Switch||90Y9356||Yes|
The following table shows the connections between adapters installed in the compute nodes and the switch bays in the chassis.
Table 4. Adapter to I/O bay correspondence
|I/O adapter slot in the server||Port on the adapter||Corresponding I/O module bay in the chassis|
|Slot 1||Port 1||Module bay 1|
|Port 2||Module bay 2|
|Slot 2||Port 1||Module bay 3|
|Port 2||Module bay 4|
The connections between the adapters installed in the compute nodes and the switch bays in the chassis are shown diagrammatically in the following figure.
Figure 3. Logical layout of the interconnects between I/O adapters and I/O modules
Supported operating systems
The FC3052 2-port 8Gb FC Adapter supports the following operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008, Datacenter x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008, Enterprise x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008, Standard x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008, Web x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server with Xen x64 Edition
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server x64 Edition
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Server x64 Edition
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
- SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 10 for AMD64/EM64T
- SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 10 with Xen for AMD64/EM64T
- SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 11 for AMD64/EM64T
- VMware ESXi 4.1
- VMware vSphere 5.0 (ESXi)
- VMware vSphere 5.1 (ESXi)
- VMware vSphere 5.5 (ESXi)
See the ServerProven website for the latest information about the specific versions and service packs that are supported:
The adapter has a 1-year limited warranty. When installed on an Flex System Compute Node, the adapter assumes the system’s base warranty and any Lenovo warranty service upgrade.
The adapter conforms to the following standards:
- United States FCC 47 CFR Part 15, Subpart B, ANSI C63.4 (2003), Class A
- United States UL 60950-1, Second Edition
- IEC/EN 60950-1, Second Edition
- FCC - Verified to comply with Part 15 of the FCC Rules, Class A
- Canada ICES-003, issue 4, Class A
- UL/IEC 60950-1
- CSA C22.2 No. 60950-1-03
- Japan VCCI, Class A
- Australia/New Zealand AS/NZS CISPR 22:2006, Class A
- IEC 60950-1(CB Certificate and CB Test Report)
- Taiwan BSMI CNS13438, Class A
- Korea KN22, Class A; KN24
- Russia/GOST ME01, IEC-60950-1, GOST R 51318.22-99, GOST R 51318.24-99, GOST R 51317.3.2-2006, GOST R 51317.3.3-99
- IEC 60950-1 (CB Certificate and CB Test Report)
- CE Mark (EN55022 Class A, EN60950-1, EN55024, EN61000-3-2, EN61000-3-3)
- CISPR 22, Class A
The dimensions and weight of the adapter are as follows:
- Width: 100 mm (3.9 in)
- Depth: 80 mm (3.1 in)
- Weight: 13 g (0.3 lb)
Shipping dimensions and weight (approximate):
- Height: 58 mm (2.3 in)
- Width: 229 mm (9.0 in)
- Depth: 208 mm (8.2 in)
- Weight: 0.4 kg (0.89 lb)
The FC3052 2-port 8Gb FC Adapter can be used in various configurations. The following figure shows the I/O installed in an I/O adapter slot 2 of the x240, which in turn is installed in the chassis. The chassis is connected to a V7000. The RAID functionality is provided by the external storage system.
Figure 4. Example configuration
The following table lists the parts that are used in the configuration.
Table 5. Components used when connecting the FC3052 2-port 8Gb FC Adapter to external disk storage
|Part number/machine type||Description||Quantity|
|8737||Flex System x240 Compute Node or other supported server||1 to 14|
|95Y2375||FC3052 2-port 8Gb FC Adapter||1 per server|
|8721-A1x||Flex System Enterprise Chassis||1|
|69Y1930||Flex System FC3171 8Gb SAN Switch||1 or 2|
|44X1964||8Gb SFP+ SW Optical Transceiver||1 per FC cable|
|39M5698||1m LC-LC Fiber Channel Cable||1 for each V7000 connection|
This configuration also requires additional V7000 features, such as drives and software licenses. These are not listed in the table.
For more information, see the following resources:
- Product Guides for Flex System servers, switches and options
- Flex System Information Center (User's Guides for servers and options)
- Flex System Interoperability Guide
- Flex System Products and Technology by Lenovo, SG24-8255
- IBM Configurator for e-business (e-config)
- System x and Cluster Solutions configurator (x-config)
- System x Configuration and Options Guide
- ServerProven for Flex System
This material has not been submitted to any formal IBM test and is published AS IS. It has not been the subject of rigorous review. IBM assumes no responsibility for its accuracy or completeness. The use of this information or the implementation of any of these techniques is a client responsibility and depends upon the client's ability to evaluate and integrate them into the client's operational environment.