This IBM® Redbooks® publication will help you install, tailor, and configure IBM ProtecTIER® products with IBM Tivoli® Storage Manager to harness the performance and the power of the two products working together as a data protection solution.
This book goes beyond the preferred practices of each product and provides in-depth explanations of each of the items that are configurable, and the underlying reasons behind the suggestions. This book provides enough detailed information to allow an administrator to make the correct choices about which methods to use when implementing both products to meet and to exceed the business requirements.
This publication provides descriptions and guidance about the following topics:
- Terminology and concepts of ProtecTIER and Tivoli Storage Manager
- Planning for ProtecTIER to run with Tivoli Storage Manager
- Setup and configuration of the IBM ProtecTIER device as a storage pool in the Tivoli Storage Manager environment, primarily as a Virtual Tape Library (VTL) interface, with a description as a File System Interface (FSI)
- Day-to-day administration of ProtecTIER when it is used in a Tivoli Storage Manager environment
- Overview of how to plan for disaster recovery in a ProtecTIER and Tivoli Storage Manager environment
- Monitoring and problem solving: How a system administrator can review ProtecTIER logs and Tivoli Storage Manager server logs to identify the source of problems
- Hints, tips, and use cases for ProtecTIER and Tivoli Storage Manager administrators
This book is intended for storage administrators and architects who have ordered and installed IBM ProtecTIER Products and want to implement Tivoli Storage Manager as part of a data protection solution. This book is also intended for anyone that wants to learn more about applying and using the benefits of ProtecTIER running with Tivoli Storage Manager.
Table of contents
Chapter 1. IBM Tivoli Storage Manager and IBM ProtecTIER
Chapter 2. Planning for ProtecTIER running with Tivoli Storage Manager
Chapter 3. Setup and configuration details
Chapter 4. Administering ProtecTIER
Chapter 5. Disaster recovery
Chapter 6. Monitoring and problem solving
Chapter 7. Hints and tips
Chapter 8. Use cases