IBM® Power Virtualization Center (IBM® PowerVC™) is an advanced, enterprise virtualization management offering for IBM Power Systems™. This IBM Redbooks® publication introduces PowerVC and helps you understand its functions, planning, installation, and setup.
PowerVC Version 1.3.1 supports both large and small deployments, either by managing IBM PowerVM® that is controlled by the Hardware Management Console (HMC) or by IBM PowerVM Novalink, or by managing PowerKVM directly. With this capability, PowerVC can manage IBM AIX®, IBM i, and Linux workloads that run on IBM POWER® hardware, including IBM PurePower systems.
PowerVC is available as a Standard Edition, or as a Cloud PowerVC Manager edition.
PowerVC Standard Edition includes the following features and benefits:
- Virtual image capture, deployment, and management
- Policy-based virtual machine (VM) placement to improve use
- Management of real-time optimization and VM resilience to increase productivity
- VM Mobility with placement policies to reduce the burden on IT staff in a simple-to-install and easy-to-use graphical user interface (GUI)
- Role-based security policies to ensure a secure environment for common tasks
IBM Cloud PowerVC Manager includes all of the PowerVC Standard Edition features and adds:
- A self-service portal that enables user access to the cloud infrastructure on a per-project basis
- The ability to enable an administrator to enable Dynamic Resource Optimization on a schedule
This publication is for experienced users of IBM PowerVM and other virtualization solutions who want to understand and implement the next generation of enterprise virtualization management for Power Systems.
Unless stated otherwise, the content of this publication refers to IBM PowerVC Version 1.3.1.
Related Blog Posts
Table of contents
Chapter 1. IBM PowerVC introduction
Chapter 2. IBM PowerVC versions and releases
Chapter 3. IBM PowerVC installation planning
Chapter 4. IBM PowerVC installation
Chapter 5. IBM PowerVC for managing IBM PowerVM
Chapter 6. IBM PowerVC Standard Edition for managing IBM PowerKVM
Chapter 7. IBM Cloud PowerVC Manager
Chapter 8. IBM PowerVC lab environment
Appendix A. Useful commands and scripts