This IBM® Redbooks® publication introduces the IBM Interactive System Productivity Facility (ISPF) Productivity Tool (IPT) Version 7, Release 1 for IBM z/OS®. IPT operates as a seamlessly integrated front end to ISPF. Note the following points:
- IPT functionality is available from any panel, without a need to modify any ISPF Primary Options Menu. All IPT functions are totally integrated. IPT can perform almost any activity within ISPF, or internally invoke the function that can perform the task.
- IPT combines separately provided ISPF utility functions and new ISPF Productivity Tool features into the Object List (OLIST) and Member Selection List (MSL). The resulting members, datasets, and Object Lists become powerful platforms where you can perform many tasks without navigating to other utilities.
- IPT relates objects to applications in a similar manner to the way that a PC performs Object Linking and Embedding (OLE). By extending the dataset objects that are used by ISPF to other object classes, IPT lets you specify the object to be processed and the action that is performed (such as EDIT or BROWSE). The facility that is appropriate to the object class for the action that you have requested is invoked automatically.
- IPT provides extensive search capabilities that are both rapid and intuitive. You can easily search for volumes, datasets, members, and text within members. ISPF Productivity Tool also furnishes automatic drill-down system navigation to examine volumes, datasets, and members.
- IPT provides a menu-driven facility to display and recover all of the deleted members of a partitioned dataset (PDS) library.
- IPT extends the ISPF action bar with options that provide access to new functionality so that you do not have to learn new commands or syntax. In addition to the ISPF Point-and-Shoot capabilities, IPT provides new concepts, such as hotbars (user-defined fields that execute commands), field-sensitive areas in MSLs and OLISTs, automatic recognition of a dataset name on any ISPF panel as a parameter to BROWSE, EDIT, or VIEW, or parameters within any Time Sharing Option (TSO) command.
- IPT provides integrated and enhanced IBM Software Configuration and Library Manager (SCLM) support within the standard member and dataset lists. SCLM is a source library management component of ISPF that provides change control, multiple source versions, auditing, a built-in make facility, and automatic check-in/sign-out using standard libraries (PDS and partitioned dataset extended (PDSE)). IPT includes built-in interfaces to various IBM and ISV products.
- IPT includes a new batch utility that provides a seamlessly integrated front end to the IBM IEBCOPY utility. In addition to supporting all IEBCOPY standard functionality, it includes additional major enhancements.
This book is intended as a supplement to existing product manuals. It opens with an overview of the main IPT concepts and facilities, and follows with detailed chapters which are each dedicated to a major IPT function. Practical scenarios, accompanied by window captures and coding examples, demonstrate how both experienced ISPF users and those new to the IBM z/OS environment can benefit from the IPT enhanced functionality in each case.
Table of contents
Chapter 1. Introduction to ISPF Productivity Tool V7.1
Chapter 2. Object List
Chapter 3. Common OLISTs
Chapter 4. Clone Object List command
Chapter 5. Member Selection List
Chapter 6. MSL partitioned member list filtering and group execution
Chapter 7. Tagging partitioned members
Chapter 8. MSL TITLE and related commands
Chapter 9. TSO command shell
Chapter 10. Invoking commands from OLISTs and MSLs
Chapter 11. IPT Global commands
Chapter 12. Invoking IPT from ISPF Option 3.4
Chapter 13. Enhanced CUT and PASTE
Chapter 14. IPT customization: First-time logon and use
Chapter 15. IPT user customization using the IPT SET command
Chapter 16. Customizing your ISPF keys for Point-and-Shoot
Chapter 17. Using IBM File Manager for z/OS with IPT
Chapter 18. SCLM integration with IPT
Chapter 19. IPT double-byte character set support
Chapter 20. IPT Batch Utility IQIBUTIL
Chapter 21. Installing IPT V7.1 on z/OS
Appendix A. Customizing IBM Personal Communications
Appendix B. Personalization suggestions
Others who downloaded this publication also downloaded