The core of the On Demand operating environment strategy is a simple IT infrastructure. Virtualization -- the ability to separate the direct dependency of an application to a physical resource -- is a key fundamental in simplifying the heterogeneous environment in today's businesses. Through virtualization, the enterprise offers:
- A single consolidated view to all available resources regardless of the location.
- Efficient access to manage those resources and to reduce operations and systems management costs.
- Dynamic response to application needs.
- A competitive advantage when gathering and accessing information across the organization.
The IBM Virtualization Engine addresses the virtualization aspects of the On Demand infrastructure.
This IBM Redbooks publication shows you how to:
- Plan and prepare the installation of the IBM Virtualization Engine Version 1.
- Install the IBM Virtualization Engine Version 1 for each type of IBM eServer.
- Use the IBM Virtualization Engine Version 1 to address customer pain points.
Table of contents
Part 1. Learn, understand, and plan before you install
Chapter 1. Simplifying the infrastructure
Chapter 2. The IBM Virtualization Engine Systems Edition
Chapter 3. The IBM Virtualization Engine Management Collection
Chapter 4. The planning advisor tool
Part 2. Installing the Virtualization Engine
Chapter 5. Installing IBM Director, the Virtualization Engine console, and TPM on a BladeCenter with xLinux
Chapter 6. Installing the Virtualization Engine console, IBM Director, TPM, and EWLM on pSeries with AIX
Chapter 7. Installing the Virtualization Engine console, IBM Director, TPM, and EWLM on Blade with Windows
Chapter 8. Installing and configuring the Virtualization Engine for IT management in an OS/400 environment
Chapter 9. Installing Virtual Machine Manager and VMware on managed servers
Part 3. Using the Virtualization Engine Scenarios
Chapter 10. How to use TPM and EWLM to provision a resource
Chapter 11. How to monitor an application in a heterogeneous environment using the VE console and EWLM
Chapter 12. How to fix hardware constraints using Tivoli Provisioning Manager and IBM Director
Chapter 13. How to optimize an xSeries IT environment using IBM Director and Virtual Machine Manager
Part 4. Summary
Appendix A. Planning for security
Appendix B. VMware installation
Appendix C. Sample EWLM domain policy
Others who downloaded this publication also downloaded