IBM zEnterprise System
The IBM zEnterprise EC12 (zEC12) and the IBM zEnterprise BC12 (zBC12) are the next steps in the evolution of the IBM mainframe family. Building on the z/Architecture platform, they introduce the following innovations:
- The IBM zEnterprise Data Compression (zEDC) is designed to reduce CPU consumption, to optimize performance of compression related tasks, and to enable more efficient use of storage resources, which can help to lower computing costs.
- The use of Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA) over 10GbE RoCE using Shared Memory Communications RDMA (SMC-R) protocol allows high speed memory-to-memory data movement between zBC12 or zEC12 systems. This feature is supported by z/OS using SMC-R and can improve network latency and throughput, thus reducing CPU overhead, z/OS network congestion, and costs related to remote off stack data movement.
- Flash Express is implemented on flash solid-state drives (SSDs), which are mounted in Flash Express feature cards. These can be used to handle paging workload spikes and to improve availability.
- The IBM System z Advanced Workload Analysis Reporter (IBM zAware) software appliance provides a smart solution for detecting and diagnosing anomalies in z/OS systems.
- The Crypto Express4S feature provides enhanced support of cryptographic functions.
IBM designed the zEC12 and the zBC12 to help overcome fundamental issues with today's IT infrastructures and to provide a solid foundation for the future. With industry-leading virtualization as well as the highest security, trusted availability, and massive data abilities, they are the preferred reference platforms for secure cloud, enterprise mobility, and operational analytics.
IBM has again delivered a smarter approach to using and managing computing resources with the zEC12 and zBC12. The zEnterprise System unique hybrid computing model allows applications to run where they run best, while being managed efficiently and seamlessly from one point of control. This hybrid model has the following main components:
- The IBM zEnterprise central processor complex (CPC) implements the System z platform environments.
- The IBM zEnterprise BladeCenter Extension (zBX) implements IBM POWER® and IBM System x® environments, and specialized solutions and appliances.
- The IBM zEnterprise Unified Resource Manager provides the overall management capabilities for the components with advanced end-to-end management capabilities for the diverse environments within the zBX.
If you require deep-dive education on the zEnterprise System, the ITSO is offering workshops worldwide. There's sure to be one near you!
Finally, if you're an IBM client located in the BeNeLux countries, check out these free technical conferences. They're packed with information about the new zEnterprise System and IBM software solutions: