IBM DS8000 and Transparent Cloud Tiering
A draft IBM Redbooks publication
Updated 12 February 2020
IBM Form #: SG24-8381-02
Rate and comment
Authors: Alexander Warmuth, Bert Dufrasne, Eddie Lin, Andreas Reinhardt
This IBM® Redbooks® publication gives a broad understanding of storage clouds and the initial functionality that was introduced for mainframes to have Transparent Cloud Tiering.
IBM DFSMS and the IBM DS8000 added functionality to provide elements of serverless data movement, and for IBM z/OS® to communicate with a storage cloud. The function is known as Transparent Cloud Tiering and is composed of the following key elements:
- A gateway in the DS8000, which allows the movement of data to and from Object Storage by using a network connection, with the option to encrypt data in the Cloud.
- DFSMShsm enhancements to support Migrate and Recall functions to and from the Object Storage. Other commands were enhanced to monitor and report on the new functionality.
- DFSMShsm uses the Web Enablement toolkit for z/OS to create and access the metadata for specific clouds, containers, and objects.
- DFSMSdss enhancements to provide some basic backup and restore functions to and from the cloud. The IBM TS7700 can also be set up to act as if it were cloud storage from the DS8000 perspective.
This IBM Redbooks publication is divided into the following parts:
- Part 1 provides you with an introduction to clouds.
- Part 2 shows you how we set up the Transparent Cloud Tiering in a controlled laboratory and how the new functions work. We provide points to consider to help you set up your storage cloud and integrate it into your operational environment.
- Part 3 shows you how we used the new functionality to communicate with the cloud and to send data and retrieve data from it..
Table of contents
Part 1. Introduction to TCT and Cloud
Chapter 1. Storage Tiering History and the Value of TCT
Chapter 2. Cloud Overview
Chapter 3. Transparent cloud tiering
Part 2. Cloud setup and use
Chapter 4. Requirements
Chapter 5. Configuring the DS8000 for TCT
Chapter 6. Configuring DFSMS for TCT
Part 3. Operation and Usage
Chapter 7. DFSMShsm
Chapter 8. Using automatic migration
Chapter 9. Operational integration and reporting considerations
These pages are Web versions of IBM Redbooks- and Redpapers-in-progress. They are published here for those who need the information now and may contain spelling, layout and grammatical errors. This material has not been submitted to any formal IBM test and is published AS IS. It has not been the subject of rigorous review. Your feedback is welcomed to improve the usefulness of the material to others.
Follow IBM Redbooks
Follow IBM Redbooks