This IBM® Redpaper™ publication is a comprehensive guide covering the IBM Power 770 and Power 780 servers supporting IBM AIX®, IBM i, and Linux® operating systems. The goal of this paper is to introduce the major innovative Power 770 and 780 offerings and their prominent functions, including:
- Unique modular server packaging
- The specialized IBM POWER7™ Level 3 cache that provides greater bandwidth, capacity, and reliability
- The 1 Gb or 10 Gb Integrated Virtual Ethernet adapter that brings native hardware virtualization up to 64 logical ports on this server
- IBM PowerVM™ virtualization including PowerVM Live Partition Mobility and PowerVM Active Memory™ Sharing
- Active Memory Expansion that provides more usable memory than what is physically installed on the system
- IBM EnergyScale™ technology that provides features such as power trending, power-saving, capping of power, and thermal measurement
- Enterprise-ready reliability, serviceability, and availability
Professionals who want to acquire a better understanding of IBM Power Systems™ products should read this paper.
This paper expands the current set of IBM Power Systems documentation by providing a desktop reference that offers a detailed technical description of the 770 and 780 systems.
This paper does not replace the latest marketing materials and configuration tools. It is intended as an additional source of information that, together with existing sources, may be used to enhance your knowledge of IBM server solutions.
Table of contents
Chapter 1. General description
Chapter 2. Architecture and technical overview
Chapter 3. Virtualization
Chapter 4. Continuous availability and manageability