Lenovo is open and ready for business with System x
IBM x86 products are now products of Lenovo in the U.S. and other countries. IBM will continue to host x86-related content on ibm.com until migrated to Lenovo.
Learn more about the acquisition
The IBM zero-U (0U) Power Distribution Units (PDUs) are the ideal solutions when you need flexible, reliable, easy-to-deploy power distribution with branch circuit protection to minimize downtime. These rack-dense units distribute power to up to 24 outlets. The 0U Power Distribution Units are designed to be installed vertically in the rear channel of an IBM 42U rack, thereby not consuming any horizontal rack space that should be reserved for IT equipment (hence the term 0U).
Changes in the July 29 update:
* Corrected the plug images for 46M4131 and 46M4122
* Added feature codes
The IBM® zero-U (0U) Power Distribution Units (PDUs) are the ideal solutions when you need flexible, reliable, easy-to-deploy power distribution with branch circuit protection to minimize downtime. These rack-dense units distribute power to up to 24 outlets. The 0U Power Distribution Units are designed to be installed vertically in the rear channel of an IBM 42U rack, thereby not consuming any horizontal rack space that should be reserved for IT equipment (hence the term 0U).
Figure 1 shows the IBM 0U 12 C19/12 C13 50A 3 Phase PDU installed in an IBM 42U rack. To the right is the IBM 0U 24 C13 30A PDU.
Figure 1. Two of the available IBM 0U Basic Power Distribution Units
Did You Know?
With ever growing power densities in today’s rack environments, it is all too easy to add load in the wrong place and trigger an overload event. The IBM 0U PDU offerings can minimize this impact, providing the ability to quickly recover with resettable circuit breakers for each designated bank of receptacles, referred to as load groups.
Introduction to PDUs
A power distribution unit (PDU) is a highly reliable, multiple outlet power strip, designed to consolidate line cords within the rack and distribute conditioned power from an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) or utility power to servers and other IT equipment. The PDU efficiently distributes power within the rack and provides fault-tolerant power redundancy for high availability requirements.
There are three types of PDUs available from IBM: basic, monitored, and switched and monitors. The PDUs covered in this document are of the basic type.
- Basic: The simplest and most cost-effective power distribution. Available with various outlet configurations and line cord options to support differing systems and load requirements. The PDUs covered in this document are of this type.
- Monitored (also known as PDU+): Provides the same benefits as a Basic PDU, but adds additional advanced PDU power monitoring down to the load group. This enables businesses to have a cross-platform rack level power and thermal view for trending analysis to improve power management.
- Switched and monitored: These are advanced power management solutions, providing power monitoring at the outlet level, with increased accuracy at low amperages, for more precise views of power consumption down to the individual server level instead of at the consolidated load group. These PDUs also offer individual outlet switching (on/off), which allows for remote power sequencing and helps prevent unintended PDU overloading. Management can be performed by tools such as IBM Systems Director Active Energy Manager™.
Part number information
Table 1 lists the available 0U Basic PDUs.
Table 1. Ordering part numbers and feature codes
|Part number||Feature code||Description|
|46M4128||5924||IBM 0U 24 C13 30A PDU|
|46M4131||5925||IBM 0U 24 C13 32A PDU|
|46M4122||5922||IBM 0U 24 C13 16A 3 Phase PDU|
|46M4125||5923||IBM 0U 24 C13 30A 3 Phase PDU|
|46M4140||5926||IBM 0U 12 C19/12 C13 50A 3 Phase PDU|
|46M4143||5927||IBM 0U 12 C19/12 C13 32A 3 Phase PDU|
The part numbers for the IBM 0U Basic Power Distribution Units are included with the following items:
- One power distribution unit
- Mounting brackets for the following racks:
- Two brackets for an IBM S2 42U Standard Rack cabinet (Types 9307, 9956)
- Two brackets for an IBM Enterprise Rack cabinet (Types 1410, 9308)
- Miscellaneous hardware kit (for attaching the mounting brackets to the PDU and installing the PDU in a rack cabinet)
IBM 0U Basic PDUs have the following common features:
- 0U rack-dense design with input cable connection, primary outlets, and breakers on one face to improve usability and cable management
- Hardware included to mount in side pocket of rack
- Easily accessible individual breakers per receptacle for high availability environments
- Electronic over-current protection
- High capacity up to 22 kW
- Resettable UL489 rated circuit breakers
The use of PDUs simplifies cable management and increases accessibility. In addition, the button-mount design of these 0U Basic PDUs helps simplify deployment by providing tool-less rear mounting in IBM 9360, 9361, and 9362 model rack cabinets, thereby reducing installation time.
Table 2 compares the power specifications of the IBM 0U Basic PDUs.
Table 2. Specifications
|Feature||IBM 0U 24 C13 30A PDU||IBM 0U 24 C13 32A PDU||IBM 0U 24 C13 16A 3-phase PDU||IBM 0U 24 C13 30A 3-phase PDU||IBM 0U 12 C19/12 C13 50A 3-phase PDU||IBM 0U 12 C19/12 C13 32A 3-phase PDU|
|Number of phases|
Single phase input
Three phase input (wye)
Permanently attached line cord, 3 m length (9-ft, 10-in)
|Line cord connector||NEMA L6-30P||IEC-309 P+N+Gnd||IEC-309 P+N+Gnd||NEMA L21-30P||CS8365L 3P+Gnd||IEC-309 3P+N+Gnd|
|Input voltage||200-208V||220-240V||220-240V / 380-415V||200-208V||200-208V||220-240V / 380-415V|
|Input current rating||30A (24A in the USA)||32A||16A||30A (24A in the USA)||50A (40A in the USA)||32A|
|Maximum power rating||6240 VA||7680 VA||4320 VA||18720 VA||31200 VA||22920 VA|
|Number of C13 outlets||24||24||24||24||12||12|
|Number of C19 outlets||0||0||0||0||12||12|
|Output voltage rating||200-208V||220-240V||220-240V||200-208V||200-208V||220-240V|
|Output current rating|
Each outlet: 10 amps (VDE) / 15 amps (UL/CSA)
Each C13 outlet: 10 amps (VDE) / 15 amps (UL/CSA)
Each C19 outlet: 16 amps (VDE) / 20 amps (UL/CSA)
|Number of phases|
Single phase output
Three double-pole branch rated circuit breakers rated at 20A
Six double-pole branch rated circuit breakers rated at 20A
|Number of load groups||3||3||3||3||3||3|
|Mechanical and environment|
|Physical dimensions DxWxH|
3.35 x 1.75 x 35.4 in / 85 x 44 x 900 mm
3.35 x 1.75 x 47.2 in / 85 x 44 x 1200 mm
|Weight||3.8 kg / 8.4 lb||4.5 kg / 9.9 lb||3.8 kg / 8.4 lb||3.7 kg / 8.2 lb||7.7 kg / 17 lb||5.9 kg / 13 lb|
10°C to 55°C (50°F to 122°F)
5% - 90% (noncondensing)
The IBM 0U Basic PDUs with only C13 connectors have the components and controls shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2. IBM 0U Basic PDUs with C13 connectors
The IBM 0U Basic PDUs with C13 and C19 connectors have the components and controls shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3. IBM 0U Basic PDUs with C13 and C19 connectors
A close-up of the circuit breakers of the two types of PDUs is shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4. Circuit breakers of the 24 C13 PDU and 12 C19 / 12 C13 PDU
As Figure 4 shows, the PDUs with C13 connectors have three double-pole branch-rated circuit breakers, each rated at 20A. Each circuit breaker is a load group and is associated with eight C13 outlets. The PDUs with C13 and C19 connectors have six double-pole branch-rated circuit breakers each rated at 20A. Each pair of circuit breakers is a load group and is associated with eight C13 outlets.
The IBM 0U Basic PDUs are offered with a three-year limited warranty.
Supported rack cabinets
The IBM 0U Basic PDUs can be installed in the following IBM racks:
- IBM S2 42U Standard Rack cabinet (Types 9307, 9956)
- IBM Enterprise Rack cabinet (Types 1410, 9308)
- IBM 42U 1200mm Deep Dynamic Rack (Type 9360)
- IBM 42U 1200mm Deep Static Rack (Type 9361)
- IBM 47U 1200mm Deep Static Rack (Type 9362)
Note: When the 0U PDUs are installed in 1000mm racks such as the IBM S2 42U Standard Rack cabinet, cable management arms (CMAs) cannot be used in the mounted servers.
The PDUs are installed vertically in side pockets of the rack. The Deep Dynamic and Deep Static racks support the button-mount design of the PDU and do not require additional hardware. Installation is shown in Figure 5. For the IBM S2 42U Standard Rack and Enterprise Rack, the PDU part numbers include the necessary mounting hardware.
Figure 5. Installing the IBM 0U Basic PDU in a Deep Dynamic or Deep Static rack
For more information, see the following resources:
- IBM Rack and power infrastructure portfolio (non-monitored PDUs home page)
- IBM U.S. Announcement letter
- IBM 0U Basic PDUs; Installation and Maintenance Guide
- IBM System x® PDU Guide - North America & Japan
- IBM System x PDU Guide - International
- Power Configurator tool
- Configuration and Options Guide (COG) - IBM BladeCenter and System x
This material has not been submitted to any formal IBM test and is published AS IS. It has not been the subject of rigorous review. IBM assumes no responsibility for its accuracy or completeness. The use of this information or the implementation of any of these techniques is a client responsibility and depends upon the client's ability to evaluate and integrate them into the client's operational environment.